1. If you have a live Christmas Tree make sure to water it every day. If you have an artificial tree make sure it is fire resistant.
2. Never use frayed lights or lights with broken sockets, throw them away.
3. Unplug your lights if you are leaving or going to bed.
4. Place burning candles away from flammable items & never leave them unattended.
5. Place holiday decorations, trees, candles, etc. away from heat sources such as heaters, fireplaces, heat vents.
6. Never leave a space heater plugged in unattended or while you're sleeping. You should buy a space heater with tip-over protection & overheat protection.
Now is also a great time to make sure all your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are working! Test them out & replace batteries as needed.
No one ever really knows when a fire will happen, so it is best to be prepared. In addition to having an evacuation plan it is a great idea to take pictures & create a list of all your belongings just in case.