There are about 89,000 accidents every year that involve a motorcycle & of those accidents 4,985 result in a fatality. It's up to all of us to make sure motorcyclists get to their destination safely. Follow the tips below when sharing the road with a motorcycle or driving one yourself!
Tips for Drivers:
1. Take another look! Motorcycles can easily be in your vehicle's blind spots, so before changing lanes or making a turn make sure you look twice.
2. Keep a safe distance! When coming to a stop or even slowing down, many cyclists don't hit their brakes instead they'll slow down by downshifting or rolling off the throttle. Allow some extra space between you & them!
3. They are closer than they appear! Because motorcycles are smaller it's hard to judge their speed & distance, so just assume they are closer than they look.
Tips for Cyclists:
1. Wear the right gear. First off, wear your helmet, helmet's save the lives of an estimated 1,800 motorcyclists every year. Wear leather or other protective clothing & make sure you are fully covered. Dress for a crash.
2. Be aware of other vehicles. Give yourself space between yourself & other motorists & keep an eye on vehicles that may be in your path.
3. Have good insurance. Before you even get on your motorcycle make sure it's insured!
4. Ride defensively & ride as if other drivers don't see you.