Here are some firework safety tips to help you safely celebrate Independence Day!
-Never allow young children to handle fireworks and older children should have adult supervision
-Never light fireworks indoors, use them away from people, houses, and anything flammable
-Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not fully ignited
-Don't point fireworks at people or animals, even as a joke
-Never have any part of your body directly over a firework while lighting
-Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby in case of fire or to put out ones that don't go off
-Dispose of your used fireworks properly, make sure they are not still hot before throwing them away. It's best to douse/soak them in water before discarding them.
-Always observe local laws
Many people love sparklers and think they are safe but they are a lot more dangerous than you think! They burn hot enough to melt some metals and can quickly ignite clothing. Sparklers make up more than 1/4 of firework related injuries in the ER and for children under 5 sparklers account for nearly half the total estimated firework injuries! If you feel the need to use sparklers keep a close eye on children or consider other much safer options such as glow sticks.
Think about keeping your pets safe as well! Animals have sensitive ears and can be easily frightened or stressed because of fireworks. It's best to keep pets indoors to keep them safe from injury or running off.
This isn't just about keeping yourself and others safe from firework injuries, fireworks can also start fires which can cause major damage. Local fire departments respond to more than 50,000 fires caused by fireworks a year!
Have fun celebrating our nation's birth but also remain safe! Have a Happy 4th of July!