Here are some safety tips to always implement before entering a grain bin:
- Turn off & lock out all powered equipment, including augers before entering the grain bin.
- Implement safety harnesses with a lifeline & make sure they are secure before entering the grain bin.
- Have an observer stationed outside of the grain bin to watch & react.
- Test the air before entry for toxic & combustible gases, make sure there is enough oxygen present.
- You should be trained on grain bin safety prior to working in a grain bin.
This year Nationwide is stressing that 100% of grain entrapments are preventable! Head over to Nationwide's Grain Bin Safety Week website for more information! & to nominate your local fire department for the chance for them to receive a grain bin rescue tube.