Moving grain is like quicksand & can bury you in just seconds! Here are basic safety tips you should be using before entering a grain bin:
- Turn off & lock out all powered equipment, including augers before entering the grain bin.
- Implement safety harnesses with a lifeline & make sure they are secure before entering the grain bin.
- Have an observer stationed outside of the grain bin to watch & react.
- Test the air before entry for toxic & combustible gases, make sure there is enough oxygen present.
- You should be trained on grain bin safety prior to working in a grain bin.
Grain Bin Safety Week also promotes awareness of life-saving grain extraction methods and procedures that help first responders rescue farmers and other workers who've been trapped in grain bins or other storage facilities. You can click here to nominate your local fire department to win a grain rescue tube & specialized rescue training courtesy of Nationwide Insurance. Be sure to nominate your local fire department now through April 30th.