Lead paint is very hazardous, especially for young kids. It can cause nervous system damage, stunted growth, kidney damage, and delayed development. It is dangerous to children because it tastes sweet, and can encourage children to put these lead based paint chips and toys in their mouths. Lead paint can also be dangerous to adults, and can cause reproductive problems in men and women. Lead is considered to be a carcinogen, high levels may result in death.
The EPA signed a new regulation called Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) regarding the renovation of residential housing and child-occupied buildings built before 1978. The rule became effective April 22, 2010. Under the rule, contractors performing renovation, repair and/or painting projects that disturb lead based coatings in child-occupied facilities built before 1978 must be certified and must follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination.
Lead Paint Removal Options?
If you have lead-based paint, you have several options for removal. Although some states allow you to do the work yourself, a contractor who is certified in lead paint removal is trained to do the job safely and will determine the best abatement strategy. Here are some options you can discuss with your contractor.
First we have encapsulation, which is typically the least complicated and most affordable method. Encapsulation involves brushing or rolling on a specially made paint coating. Doing so creates a watertight bond and seals in the lead based paint. However, opening and closing your doors and windows eventually may wear off the coating.