Boaters are encouraged to follow responsible boating practices & maintain their boats. Whether it is your first time boating or you're a boat season vet it's recommended to take a boating safety lesson before you hit the water!
1. Watch the weather! Don't find yourself caught on the water during a storm!
2. Wear a life jacket! If you're onboard you should have a life jacket on at all times, make sure you & your passengers have theirs on & that they are Coast Guard approved & fit correctly.
3. Be responsible. Be aware of your surroundings, stay alert, & maintain an appropriate speed.
4. Avoid alcohol. Do not operate your boat while drinking. Alcohol can affect your judgement, vision, & coordination.
5. Use an engine cut-off device, this will stop the boat's engine if the operator were to fall overboard.
6. Communication! Have a way or ways to stay in contact with others in case of emergency, satellite phones & VHF radios are examples.
7. Check your boat & equipment. Make sure your boat is seaworthy & everything is in good, working condition.
For more safe boating info head to Safe Boating Campaign